Leadership Boot Camp for Newly Elected Officials
Home > Center for Public Service > Leadership Boot Camp for Newly Elected Officials
Now that you've been elected the real work begins. Get off to a strong start by learning first hand the challenges, both personally and professionally, from our experienced public officials and public administrators by participating in the:
Leadership Boot Camp for Newly Elected Officials - 2013 Special Districts Election
The Goal of the Program:
As quickly as possible, help you to shine in your exciting new role as Local Government Official.
The topics covered in this one-day, intensive workshop will include:
- Opportunities and Constraints: Understanding your role(s) as an elected board member;
- Ground Rules: Forging effective working relationships with elected colleagues;
- Your New Best Friend: Constructing an appropriate, working relationship with your city manager/county administrator;
- Lines that Matter: The key differences between policy and implementation;
- Effective Delegation: How to work with other boards, task forces, and advisory groups;
- Within the Fishbowl: Representing yourself and your board in public settings;
- Effective Meetings: Everyone’s responsibility, not just the presiding officer’s;
- Keeping Faith with your Voters: Effectively promoting your own priorities;
- Building Consensus: How you can – and when you shouldn’t try.
Saturday, June 22, 2013 9:00 AM PT - Saturday, June 22, 2013 2:00 PM
|Urban Center, 506 SW Mill, 7th flr Board Rm
Parking Information: Update as of 6/21/13: Participants will need to give the attendant in Parking Structure 1 the Event ID 11577 prior to parking
General admission = $250/person for the first newly elected official from a given jurisdiction. (service charges will apply)
Jurisdiction discount = $125/person will be charged for additional officials from the same jurisdiction. (service charges will apply)
Small district discount = $125/per person from small districts (defined as having an annual budget less than $2 million). (service charges will apply)
The price includes parking and a working lunch.
To pay by check - mail them no later than June 18th: Complete the online registration form, leaving the Payment information section blank:
Make checks payable to PSU and include the Name,Address and e-mail of attendee. Mail them to - PSU Box Office, Portland State University, PO Box 751, Portland, OR 97207
Sales will be completed when received.
Please login to purchase tickets.